Monday, 29 October 2012

HELP ME PLEASE OK.

Does anybody know if I'd be able to use a few really short clips of actors in my music video? They're dead now if that makes a difference... (they're alive in the clips though, don't worry.) But yeah, as I lack appropriate male friends I thought it would be cool to use a few clips/pictures of someone like James Dean or Marlon Brando (when he was young and pretty) because I think they'd look fabulous in my video and they'd fit in really well with the style I'm aiming for. I could use a real life person if I'm not allowed to do this, but I wanted to show the girl in my video being influenced by the behaviour of men she sees in films/on TV/etc. instead of some irrelevant guy in 'real life'. Obviously I wouldn't just film the clips, they'd be playing in the background and the girl in the video would be the main focus of the shot, but I wasn't sure if I could do that so I thought I'd better ask on here. 

Please help me, because I'll cry if you don't and I look even more like a troll when I cry.

2 comments:

  1. Please no crying.

    However, my news is not exactly good (nor is it bad). This is quoted from the OCR (Examining Body) guidance document.

    -----------------------------------------------
    "All material for all tasks to be produced by the candidates with the exception of non-original sound or image material used in a LIMITED way in video/radio work
    The copyright guidance outlined above applies to all briefs.
    An example of limited use of video and audio would be using a video extract of an explosion and a sound of an explosion. The majority of the video and audio work should be produced by candidates and not be found material."
    -----------------------------------------------

    So, the short answer is "no", but . . .
    the long answer is "yes, as long as any found footage (taken from elsewhere) is used in a limited way, for some kind of intended stylistic effect, and does not create the impression that you are simply ripping from somebody else to make a cheap mash-up. This restriction is important for two reasons. 1. Copyright infringement issues. 2. It would cheapen the quality of the final piece.

    In terms of copyright, I think you're fine. From what you've explained, it would qualify as "Fair Use" if you are talking about using clips that are only a few seconds long.

    The full OCR guidance document can be found here:
    http://www.ocr.org.uk/download/kd/ocr_31911_kd_gce_unit_g324.pdf

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps. if you want to pursue your idea but are still concerned, we can call the examining body for a definitive answer when we get back from half term break.

    ReplyDelete